Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit

From: Patrik Lembke
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] linux-libre .deb for AMD 64 bit
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:49:46 +0200

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:14:06 -0300 Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 11:06:47 Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> > I have realized  BCM 4312 uses non-free firmware. Is it a good idea to
> > install non-free firmware while I can get the owner a wireless card with a
> > fully libre driver?
>
> You can try OpenFWWF[0]; maybe you can make it work for that model. It is
> never a good idea to use nonfree sofware.
>
> [0] http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf/

Sadly I think the OpenFWWF firmware still has non-free parts (from the
page you sent a link to):

"To make the firmware work properly you need at least 2 more files that
must be extracted from original Broadcom drivers:"

Until that is fixed I don't see how its much better to recommend
OpenFWWF.

Hopefully this will get solved but until then I strongly recommend that
we do not recommend or use this firmware.

--
Patrik Lembke
www: http://blambi.chebab.com/