Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences

From: Eric Morey
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad licensed under AGPL v3.0: Consequences for gNS?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:12:04 +0000

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 23:09 +0500, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> On 7/22/09, Eric Morey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 05:25 +0500, Nicodemo Alvaro wrote:
> >
> >> I've heard that Launchpad has the license notice AGPL v3, as in not
> >> your option to use a later version.
> >>
> > Yes, you are correct. See the license file on the current stable branch:
> > http://preview.tinyurl.com/l7jdhc
> >
> You must check the license notice, which is inside the source code.

FYI: It seems that the same notice is placed inside each source code
file (e.g. setup.py http://preview.tinyurl.com/no325w)
The notice:

> # Copyright 2009 Canonical Ltd.  This software is licensed under the
> # GNU Affero General Public License version 3 (see the file LICENSE).

The file LICENSE is what I linked to in my previous email.

> Sometimes, you will see people refuse to place the "(or at your option)
>  any later version" in the license notice and is what Launchpad has.

The Launchpad team seems to have elected that only v3.0 be applicable...

> I was in IRC just now, and here is a summary of the Savannah Admins' concerns.
>
> 1) it's centered on a unique VCS
> 2) it has a different (but more flexible) user/groups models that is
> not easy to migrate to and
> 3) it's still in early stage, maybe it will be cleaned-up later but
> right now it's a bit messy (ubuntu 8 only, etc.)
> 4) Savannah may be integrating with Pootle instead of Rosetta.
> 5) Usability is not that great.

It sounds like Launchpad it not a good fit for Shavannah.

> >> I've  had problems retrieving the source code, because they are using
> >> a newer version of bazaar, which is incompatible with my version 1.3.
> >> Canonical claims their code to be written with Hardy and Jaunty, but I
> >> could find no other bzr version in their package lists or gNewSense
> >> deltah.
> >>
> >> https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting
> >>

> > You may have missed from https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting:
> >
> >> Note that right now, Launchpad can only be built and run on Ubuntu
> >> (8.04 "Hardy" to 9.04 "Jaunty")...
> >> //Overview//
>
> Come on now, overview is a horrible place to have instructions.

Don't shoot the messenger...

> >> ...Launchpad's branches are hosted in Bazaar [1], using the most
> >> up-to-date repository format available. That means you'll need to use
> >> at least Bazaar 1.16.1 [2] to get Launchpad -- and please consider
> >> using 1.17 [3], which has just been released. Packages are also
> >> available in the Bazaar PPA[4]
> >>
> Yes, but the end result does not look like a valid solution.

I guess it won't be as easy as the launchpad team has advertised.