Re: [gNewSense-users] Autodetect Screen Resolution

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Autodetect Screen Resolution
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:36:16 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Jason Self<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Sam Geeraerts<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Jason Self schreef:
>>>
>>> I can't see to get my monitor to run at full resolution. (I seem to be
>>> stuck at 1600 x 1200 even though the max should be 1920 x 1200.)
>>>
>>> To provide some background, what I'm working with is an ASUS
>>> EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
>>> HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card.
>>>
>>> My research indicates that the Radeon HD 3450 is considered RV620 and
>>> needs the radeonhd driver to run at full resolution. So I run sudo
>>> aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd and obtained version
>>> 1.1.0-1.
>>>
>>> My research indicates that Ubuntu 8.04 (on which gNewSense is based)
>>> uses autodetects hardware: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/XORGHardy
>>> so it seems that X should now auto detect the radeonhd driver, but I'm
>>> still stuck at 1600 x 1200 even after a full system restart.
>>>
>>> I've also tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg but was never
>>> prompted for which driver to use.
>>>
>>> I've run out of ideas and I'm hoping that someone might have some input.
>>>
>>> A copy of my xorg.conf can be found at http://pastebin.ca/1493311
>>> A copy of my X log can be found at http://pastebin.ca/1493312
>>
>> X has come a long way, but my experience is that it's still far from
>> perfect. It seems that in your case it's still using the vesa driver. Try
>> changing your xorg.conf Device section to:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>
>>        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>>        Driver          "radeonhd"
>>
>> EndSection
>
> Thank you. I attempted that. After rebooting a message appeared
> stating that the system was booting into low resolution mode. The X
> log file is http://pastebin.ca/1494329. Hmmm....

I think that I may have found the cause:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeonhd_massive&num=1

Remembering that sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
gave me version 1.1.0, it looks like support for my RV620 wasn't added
until after that.

So it appears that I need a newer version of radeonhd. I'll go & try that.