Re: [gNewSense-users] Fossology - PFV

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Fossology - PFV
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:35:43 +0930

I've filed http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00297 to remind me about it.

> FOSSology has been long in the back of my mind as something useful
> for gNewSense. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to investigate it
> better. Other people have looked at it before [1] and found it
> possibly usable. From a quick look at the website [2] I gather that
> there have been some useful improvements in the last year (e.g.
> analysis speed).

I've been hanging around their community since not long after it was
announced, but only had minor forays into hacking with it.

> Emacs PFV Mode has served (and still is serving) us well, but I think
> good PFV needs to be a more automated, more formal and better
> architected process. I've written down some personal notes about this
> in the past few weeks, but those ideas still need some work. I'll see
> how FOSSology matches up to them.

One of the advantages fossology brings is we can import entire archive
repositories into it - both ours, upstreams and any other
distro /software we are interested in.

> The move from PFV Mode to something should obviously coincide with
> the other infrastructure changes. Ideally we would import our current
> PFV data to the new thing, but that will probably be hard or
> impossible. We'll have to see about that when we get there.

Like migrating our bugs.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)