Re: [gNewSense-users] Fossology - PFV

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Fossology - PFV
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:52:35 +0200

marco oliva schreef:
Hello,

As requested, i send this email to remind about :

Fossology -> http://fossology.org/

P.S. : In my opinion, gNewSense could asking for help to FSF to support fossology in theirs servers.

FOSSology has been long in the back of my mind as something useful for gNewSense. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to investigate it better. Other people have looked at it before [1] and found it possibly usable. From a quick look at the website [2] I gather that there have been some useful improvements in the last year (e.g. analysis speed).

Emacs PFV Mode has served (and still is serving) us well, but I think good PFV needs to be a more automated, more formal and better architected process. I've written down some personal notes about this in the past few weeks, but those ideas still need some work. I'll see how FOSSology matches up to them.

The move from PFV Mode to something should obviously coincide with the other infrastructure changes. Ideally we would import our current PFV data to the new thing, but that will probably be hard or impossible. We'll have to see about that when we get there.

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2008-07/msg00046.html
[2] http://www.fossology.org