[gNewSense-users] ndiswrapper

From: Peter Rock
Subject: [gNewSense-users] ndiswrapper
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:36:00 +0800

> I'm agreeing it should be removed.
>
>> Ndiswrapper itself is free software. It might function as a wrapper
>> for non-free software, but removing a program based on what it *might*
>> handle as input seems too far. There's no *guarantee* that the drivers
>> ndiswrapper handles are non-free just like there's no guarantee the
>> programs that Wine handles are non-free.
>
> ndiswrapper exists purely to load non-free software. I'm certainly not
> aware of any free drivers that ndiswrapper could load. Have you any
> examples?

I think you're both right.

If I lean any particular way in this, it is to keep it. ndiswrapper is
Free Software which means there could be something useful a user could
use the program (or part of it) for that has nothing to do with
proprietary software. The software doesn't actively encourage the user
to install proprietary software (for example, an "Install Flash"
pop-up in Firefox) so I don't see the harm.