Re: [gNewSense-users] Add/Remove... suggestion to install or work with n

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Add/Remove... suggestion to install or work with non-free software
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:38:09 -0400

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 17:08 +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:22:50 +0300
> Niklas Cholmkvist <address@hidden> wrote:

> > In the program "Windows Wireless Drivers" it says in the description:
> > > allowing an easy way to install Windows wireless drivers.
> >
> > Do you think it should be removed?
>
> ndiswrapper? yes it should be. the current code doesnt seem to cut it,
> so feel free to submit a patch which works.
> kk

I'm unsure of what you're saying. Are you sarcastically suggesting that
ndiswrapper should be improved, or are you agreeing that it should be
removed from the repo?

Ndiswrapper itself is free software. It might function as a wrapper for
non-free software, but removing a program based on what it *might*
handle as input seems too far. There's no *guarantee* that the drivers
ndiswrapper handles are non-free just like there's no guarantee the
programs that Wine handles are non-free.