Re: [gNewSense-users] I decided to abandon gNewSense

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] I decided to abandon gNewSense
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 00:31:40 +0200

Patrick DeBoard schreef:
Hi all,

Sadly, I recently decided I couldn't continue trying to make gNewSense work for me. There were too many issues with using the internet, and the whole experience was just too confusing for me. In the end, I loaded Windows XP onto my machine, and I disabled every automatic function when given a choice. Currently, my computer is running well, and quick. I understand the Free as in Freedom movement, and I am FOR it. I don't trust Gates and Microsoft, and I believe that Microsoft is probably violating the US Constitution by allowing the government access to its programs and users, under the table.
But the main problem for me is being able to view video on the net.
After 6 months of fiddling w/gNS, I got tired of "fiddling", especially since I had to fiddle in the dark. gNS seems to be for developers and programmers, not for an everyday non-hack like myself. The website remains confusing to me. Navigation on it doesn't seem to be set up logically. I'm used to Windows doing all the work for me, so I need "to the point" help, prominently displayed. I guess for me functionality is important. For me it's more important than my constitutional rights to privacy and the right to do what I want with things I purchased. Please understand that I am saying "for me".

I don't know what "you guys" are going to do about functionality on the internet, but maybe you'll figure it out. Without the ability to play videos on the internet, I don't see how gNS would ever be accepted as a mainstream OS and software package, but I've been wrong before. Maybe that's not a goal/intention for the developers. At 62 years of age, I'm not so hot to jump on the "computer freedom" band wagon, or any wagon. Rocking chair, recliner, and camp chair are more to my liking these days.

I thought this feedback might be interesting for most of you who are on this list. If not, please disregard. Thanks.

Patrick,

I still agree with you that our documentation is not how it should be. I can see how that would put you off using gNewSense. It is mostly there for new people, so their feedback is essential in improving it. So if something is not clear, then please tell us. And if nobody responds or takes action after a few days, tell us again.

I'm sorry to hear that you will be leaving us. Have you considered thoroughly why you are doing this? Your main reason seems to be Internet video. Have you considered other means of getting that video? Or even other means of entertainment? Is your (and other people's) freedom less important than movies and sports? Have you asked the providers of that video to be more friendly towards free software? Have you considered the reason why it is difficult to access those media with free software?

You say that you're too old to be interested in free software. Jon "maddog" Hall, one of free software's most esteemed advocates, is 58 years old if I'm not mistaken, and he's still going strong. You're never too old to learn and have a positive impact on other people. You even started learning how to edit our wiki yourself.

I hope that you will rethink your decision. If not, then at least try gNewSense again from time to time and tell other people about free software.