Re: [gNewSense-users] I decided to abandon gNewSense

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] I decided to abandon gNewSense
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:56:30 +0200

Natousayni schreef:
gNS is dificult, ok, but don't go so fast to windows

install ubuntu, say yes to every restricted driver it 'll propose.
open a terminal and type that:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Please don't suggest that people say yes to every piece of restricted software that gets proposed to them or recommend non-free software yourself. That is not the solution for their problems. Please read our community guidelines [1].

and yourlinux willl do everything your windobe does, but faster and without
security holes...

That's not very accurate. Every operating system has security problems. The problem is that you can not study and fix potential problems in non-free components of some operating systems (like Windows and Ubuntu). It doesn't serve our users to lure them in with false statements.

then you might follow the evolution of Fsoft and gns, change to free
alternative, one byte after the other...

ok ubuntu is not free, but it's freer than Windows

I see what you're trying to do, but the message you actually send out is: "it's ok to use non-free software for now; once free software has caught up and there is no functional difference between free and non-free anymore, then you can switch back". This hollows out the ethics of software freedom and doesn't get us anywhere.

have fun, keep the mojo !

Happy hacking. :)

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CommunityGuidelines