Re: [gNewSense-users] RE: I decided to abandon gNewSense

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] RE: I decided to abandon gNewSense
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:13:33 +0200

Mu schreef:
2009/5/19 David Sterry <address@hidden>:
Referencing the Community Guidelines at
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CommunityGuidelines everyone please take note
that we as a community do not want to be recommending or supporting non-free
software. There are many places to get support and recommendations for such
things. It is our goal to help gNewSense users by strictly supporting only
free software.

Sorry, if you don't want, I won't do this again, but I thought that
downgrading to Ubuntu would be less bad than falling into XP. I
thought it could help to return to gNS in a not so far future.

I like this project a lot, but I think it is difficult for newbies to
face the problems they can find using this distro, and even more
difficult to understand the reasons to face them.

If that bothers you, or goes against the rules, I won't do it again. I
wanted only to help, sorry if I caused inconvenience.

It's great that you want to help and I hope you will continue to do so.

Ubuntu might be less bad than Windows, but that still doesn't make it good from a free software point of view. I hope you can see why we have the policy outlined in our community guidelines. Recommending non-free software diminishes the importance of software freedom and so must be avoided.

There may be some inconveniences to using gNewSense and people who are less freedom-aware and technically savvy could experience some frustration with it. But then it's our job to explain to them that the problems they're facing are actually solutions, even if it's difficult for them to understand. If you will only recommend free software to those who already chose it, then you'll be preaching to the choir and gNewSense would not gain many new users. This would set gNewSense on the path of becoming an "elitist" operating system (as some have already accused it of being).

gNewSense is not just for the free software hacker "in-crowd". It's also for me and for you and for Patrick and for the rest of the world. We need hackers to improve the software and take out the non-free bits in a practical way. But we need newbies to ask the questions that make them (and us) understand software freedom better, to comment (and report bugs) from a non-technical perspective and to help us improve the documentation so that our goal will be easier to understand and our software will be more accessible for new users.