Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense three years on

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense three years on
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:34:40 +0930

On Tue, 05 May 2009 07:24:23 +0100
Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When we first started this thing in 5th May 2006 (three years ago) we
> thought we would only get enough attention to justify a couple of
> months effort and it would die from a lack of interest. It is with a
> great deal of pleasure I can say this did not happen.

It hasn't happened, and I like to think we have a stable enough
community that we should be able to keep building.

> Perhaps we are right when we think gNewSense has caused more people to
> focus on delivering Free as in Freedom software.

I like to think you'd be right on that.

> Certainly we caused some changes, SGI's GLX being the most prominent,
> we are very grateful to all involved be it my initial conversation
> with Peter Brown or the people in SGI, Red Hat, IBM , Xorg and others
> (you know who you are).

Definitely a big one. This had been open over 4 years in upstream BTSs
when the FSF announced the code had been freed.

> Along came mipssel and the longsoon and some people got very vocal and
> others got very involved. The shortest path to getting this to work
> was to fork the Debian mipssel.

And although not announced yet, there are ppc images being tested,
using the same upstream as mipsel.

> So where to now?
>
> Brian and I had a chat about this. We feel that we have brought this
> project as far as we can. We would like others to take the reigns.
> The primary concern to the person or people who want to take over is
> Software Freedom, pure and simple.

Guess I'll be fixing my SVN account then...
:)

> We have found the FSF staff very supportive since they got behind this
> project and sponsored space and bandwidth for the project. A big
> thanks to them all past and present.

Definitely. And for the quick help when servers/services need attention.

> Regards,
>
> Paul

Thanks for your work on gNewSense, and giving "us all" a distribution
to come to.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au