Re: [gNewSense-users] recommended browser for gNS 2.2?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] recommended browser for gNS 2.2?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 10:24:59 +0200

Patrick DeBoard schreef:
On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>wrote:
To know which browser is right for you, you just have to try them. Here is
a quick summary of some of your options:

- IceCat: most up to date browser for gNewSense; you can use all the
Firefox add-ons with it, but some of those may be non-free

Thanks.  I saw some of this discussion in the list archive.  I don't know
how to download stuff for gNS, though.  For example, when I tried to add
Plugger 5.1.3, I clicked on "source" in the download column, and now i have
Plugger 5.1.3.tar.gz on my desktop.  I even extracted it and have a folder
named Plugger 5.1.3 on the desktop now.  But as far as USING it goes, ha.  I
have no idea how to install it or use it.

I tried to download greasemonkey, too, without success.  I can watch video
on one site in slow mo, but nothing on any other sites.  most sites want me
to get flash player.  i'll go back to the installation instructions for
icecat, maybe i can figure it out.

I think you're a bit stuck in the Windows way of thinking. gNewSense provides its own software sources, so you can install most programs from within the system [1] instead of having to look around for them on the Web.

You're first stop should be Add/Remove Programs in the Applications menu. There you will find the most common applications, including Greasemonkey. Plugger is apparently not as popular, so you'll have to dig a little deeper with Synaptic in the System menu. If you search for "plugger" you'll find mozplugger. Click on the little square to mark it for installation and then on Apply.

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/SoftwareAdministration