Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:56:18 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
I'll just note here that while "Marketing team" may be the most
accurate/ an accurate way of describing what the people do, but may
have connotations we don't want to have attached to the project.
(Perhaps I'm just repeating Ali?).

(lumping some text together)
Why not "gNewSense marketing"?

If the group isn't directly bound to gNewSense by name, its easier for
people external to the project to join in and contribute. The group
The group would be about inviting people to become free, rather then
simply be about switching to gNewSense.

(my note: that last bit doesn't mean gNS can't be promoted, but that
its /one part/ of the groups focus.)

I wasn't thinking outside the gNS box and assumed that the main focus would be on promoting gNewSense (but not ignoring the broader freedom issue, of course). Then it's not "just" a name for on of our teams, but also an identification and message to the outside world. "Marketing Team" would be fine to promote a product (gNewSense), but I agree that it's not good for promoting a philosophy (certainly the one we're promoting).

Why Libre people?

The word Libre has a clearer message then Free in English. It helps
show that its a group about Freedom, in our case the four defined by
the FSF.

I've never been comfortable with using either term in English: one is ambiguous, the other is not native and sounds a bit awkward. I've always been OK with "freedom", so I try to use the noun instead of the adjectives whenever I can.

Using "people" instead of "team" removes the feeling of a closed in
group who decide on how things should work from the title.

I agree that "team" is more suited for a (small) working group than for large scale activism. But "people" sounds a bit bland and is not a distinguishing term with which activists will enthousiastically identify themselves.

So I tried to come up with some more alternatives. Alliterations always go down well, so I thought "Freedom Friends" would be a good candidate. But it looks like that's already taken: [1], [2]; and the association with those organisations (although coincidental) may give the wrong impression about our own message. The same goes for "Friends of Freedom" ([3], [4]). "Freedom Fighters" and "Freedom Fanatics" sound a bit extreme.

That's about all I can think of right now, but I will ponder on it some more.

[1] http://www.freedomfriends.org/
[2] http://freedomfriends.net/index.htm
[3] http://www.friendsoffreedom.org/
[4] http://www.friendsoffreedom.com/