Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:01:36 +0930

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:02:49 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ali Davoodifar schreef:
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Sam Geeraerts
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Can you explain why you think it's not proper? It seems to be the
> >> common term with other distributions:
> >
> > To me, It brings to mind a sense of commercial business interest as
> > the primary goal. It commodotizes gNewSense, losing sight of its
> > socio-political underpinnings in the process.
> >
> > That's how I view it.
>
> Wiktionary describes marketing as:
>
> The promotion, distribution and selling of a product or service;
> includes market research and advertising

I'll just note here that while "Marketing team" may be the most
accurate/ an accurate way of describing what the people do, but may
have connotations we don't want to have attached to the project.
(Perhaps I'm just repeating Ali?).

> We don't do market research, but we might in the future. We don't
> sell gNewSense, but we don't mind if other people do. We should even
> encourage hardware resellers to sell their machines with gNewSense.
> We might sell merchandise if we ever need more funds (or just as part
> of our promotion effort), but that doesn't mean commercial business
> interests will be our primary goal.
>
> I don't see a need to call it anything else but Marketing Team. I'd
> say it's mostly for internal use anyway. It's about promoting
> gNewSense, not about the team that promotes it.

The following is something I was sent privately about the 'libre people'
topic, I'm rewording a little, and sending it on. Hopefully not
corrupting the message in translation.

Why not "gNewSense marketing"?

If the group isn't directly bound to gNewSense by name, its easier for
people external to the project to join in and contribute. The group

Why Libre people?

The word Libre has a clearer message then Free in English. It helps
show that its a group about Freedom, in our case the four defined by
the FSF.

Using "people" instead of "team" removes the feeling of a closed in
group who decide on how things should work from the title.

The group would be about inviting people to become free, rather then
simply be about switching to gNewSense.

(my note: that last bit doesn't mean gNS can't be promoted, but that
its /one part/ of the groups focus.)

> A snazzy name that sticks in people's minds couldn't hurt, of course.
> In that respect Advocacy Team or Promo Team are not better than
> Marketing Team. Libre People would get noticed because it's not a
> standard term, but I feel it still doesn't have the ring to it that
> would make people turn their heads. A really good name would be
> something equivalent to "Playboy Bunnies".

"gNewSense Hares" lacks a certain ... relevance ... to our promotion
group though ;) Perhaps we should use it for the beta testers ;D

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au