Re: [gNewSense-users] How to boot from FSF membership card?

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] How to boot from FSF membership card?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:47:50 -1000

Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:12:12 -1000, Tor at Shared Genius <address@hidden> skribis:

Sorry about the basic (and perhaps even far-fetched) question, but it is the only thing that comes to mind. Is it possible that your computer isn't truly trying to boot from USB?

I guess, it is really trying, because when I leave a non-bootable USB stick plugged in, the boot sequence stops, prompting me to replace an invalid system disk and press any key (and when I press it, the boot goes from the hard drive).

This sounds like it should work. It is slower (unless it is just that my port is USB 1.1) booting from the card than from a CD. As you may have noticed the position of the card in the port can be a bit finicky, but it sounds like you have that worked out.

In order to boot from mine I use the BIOS one time boot menu (F12 on my computer), not the BIOS setup.

Thanks for the tip. I´ll try it, but am not sure, if my BIOS has such an override (I see no relevant messages when booting).

Either way it is booting from USB before HD, so this shouldn't matter.

This sounds good. If things really don't work I have an image of mine, from which I have booted I can give you the location of. Link is also in the FSF Member Forums; my username there is Tor.

Oops... My username is actually TorC. Forgot at that moment that the membership form wouldn't take Tor.

Tor

Thanks a lot! I will try to cope with the problem on my own, but if I fail, I´ll ask you :)

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski