Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: How to boot from FSF membership card?

From: Dmitri Gabinski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: How to boot from FSF membership card?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 20:19:40 +0300

Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:08:03 -0400, Daniel Clark <address@hidden> skribis:

http://config.fsf.org/trac/membercard/wiki/MembercardDebug

Thanks for the link! I did not know that this page exists.

The suggestion of Tor is good;

Oops, it looks like I replied to Tor privately instead of sending the reply to the group (I forget sometimes, that pressing `Reply´ addresses it to the original sender). So just a remark: when I leave a non-bootable USB stick plugged in, the boot sequence stops prompting me to replace an invalid system disk and press any key when ready (and when I press one, booting goes on from my hard drive). Thus, it looks like my computer is really trying to boot from USB.

Also feel free to tell me how I can make that page easier to find - I
think it's linked to pretty prominently from the web page that is linked
to on the card and the letter we sent out (www.fsf.org/membercard), but
perhaps we could print "for support please visit" or something on the
next batch of cards...

I think, it would be good. I tried two ways before I searched Google and eventually recurred to this group: 1) I went to www.fsf.org → My account (www.fsf.org/associate/account/), and in `Membership benefits´ saw `Receive a bootable USB membership card containing the gNewSense distribution´, but the link there directed to the gNewSense home site. 2) Next, I went to http://member.fsf.org that redirected me to http://www.fsf.org/associate/, where I clicked `Additional information about membership benefits´ (http://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits.html) and saw this text:
`Ultra-slim USB Membership Card
<Picture of USB Member Card>
You will receive a 1GB card loaded with gNewSense Live, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution. This ultra slim credit card sized device has your member user name and number printed on it. The card sports an incredibly sturdy and durable double sided USB connector and fits in a wallet so you can take it anywhere - sharing gNewSense on the go!´
with no further links.

Probably, your link could be added to one or both of the above pages (https://www.fsf.org/associate/account/ and/or http://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits.html).

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski