[gNewSense-users] Re: How to boot from FSF membership card?

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: How to boot from FSF membership card?
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:08:03 -0400

Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have received my FSF membership card that is supposed to be bootable
> with gNewSense on-board. However, I cannot boot. I have Celeron 1.2 MHz,
> main board Gygabyte 6OXT (with Award BIOS v. 6.00PG), one hard drive,
> one CD-ROM and one CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo, two USB ports. The card is
> plugged into one USB port, and an EV-DO modem is plugged into the other
> port.
>
> I tried the following boot device options in the BIOS setup:
> USB-FF
> USB-ZIP
> USB-CDROM
> USB-HDD
> SCSI
> HDD-1
> ZIP
>
> None of the above works. The card seems to be operable: when I boot from
> my hard drive, I see the card mounted as two volumes and can browse
> them. I have tried to search Google but found no relevant information.
> Is there something I could check or set up? Any ideas?

http://config.fsf.org/trac/membercard/wiki/MembercardDebug

Not much there yet with regard to specific non-free BIOS settings, but
feel free to fix that for your situation if you figure it out :-)

The suggestion of Tor is good; often times you need to press some key to
get to a special boot menu, or hold down some key on bootup (for example
on some Eee PC models, you need to hold down esc at bootup to get the menu.)

If you determine it is a problem specific to the membercard, feel free
to ping me on #fsf-members, where I am djbclark.

Also feel free to tell me how I can make that page easier to find - I
think it's linked to pretty prominently from the web page that is linked
to on the card and the letter we sent out (www.fsf.org/membercard), but
perhaps we could print "for support please visit" or something on the
next batch of cards...

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny