Re: [gNewSense-users] How to boot from FSF membership card?

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] How to boot from FSF membership card?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:12:12 -1000

Dmitri Gabinski wrote:
Hi!

I have received my FSF membership card that is supposed to be bootable with gNewSense on-board. However, I cannot boot. I have Celeron 1.2 MHz, main board Gygabyte 6OXT (with Award BIOS v. 6.00PG), one hard drive, one CD-ROM and one CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo, two USB ports. The card is plugged into one USB port, and an EV-DO modem is plugged into the other port.

I tried the following boot device options in the BIOS setup:
USB-FF
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD
SCSI
HDD-1
ZIP

Sorry about the basic (and perhaps even far-fetched) question, but it is the only thing that comes to mind. Is it possible that your computer isn't truly trying to boot from USB? In order to boot from mine I use the BIOS one time boot menu (F12 on my computer), not the BIOS setup. The boot order should not matter, because you are bypassing it altogether by doing this.

None of the above works. The card seems to be operable: when I boot from my hard drive, I see the card mounted as two volumes and can browse them. I have tried to search Google but found no relevant information. Is there something I could check or set up? Any ideas?

This sounds good. If things really don't work I have an image of mine, from which I have booted I can give you the location of. Link is also in the FSF Member Forums; my username there is Tor.

Tor

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski