Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:44:44 +0930

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:34:38 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz schreef:
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:42:12 -0400
> > Jean Schurger <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> I would recommend 'trac' or 'redmine'
> >
> > Trac I've worked with - briefly - redmine in new to me.
> >

> I've also played around with Trac a bit. I really liked it.
>
> >> about trac: (http://trac.edgewall.org/)
> >>
> >>  advantages:
> >>
> >>   - writen in python, so it easy to understand, write plugins,...
> >
> > This is particularly nice, as the language its in doesn't need
> > patching every second day either...
> >

> I'm dabbling a bit in Python. Having more Python stuff in/around gNS
> might give me some fun itches to scratch. I also think we're more
> likely to attract contributors that know Python than those that know
> Ruby.

There's a few people in the community who want to do pythony stuff, so
for that trac might be better. However, we've discovered that just
because people are interested when they cant help doesn't mean whey they
can you get contributions from them ;)

> Trac supports UTF-8 properly, which will please the translators. I
> guess Ruby also supports it.
>
> I found a plug-in that adds an e-mail interface [2].

Nice.

> <snip>
> >>  drawbacks:
>
> The only thing I could find about moving from pmwiki to trac was a
> message on laconica-dev [1]. Laconica is on Trac now, so they seem to
> have managed it. I can't find how they did it, though.

I coudn't find any instructions about migrating either :/

> I'm not sure about scalability. Before 0.10 Trac only supported
> SQLite, which may or may not be an indication of its backend
> performance.

Might be, but I was under the impression SQLite was quite a quick thing.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor