[gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Webapps infrastructure
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:44:06 +0930

Hi all.

(Sorry about cross posting, but this is relevant to everyone, and I
dont know if our translators are on the dev list)

Over the life of the project, the needs and functionality of our group
has changed.

I'm putting out this call to ask for thoughts on what people would like
to see replacing our current infrastructure. Any ideas are welcome, but
appreciate there's a number of factors involved when things are
discussed.

What do we *need*?
- Wiki (community editable)
- Bug tracking system
- 'locked' website (eg, all our existing www. sites)
- supports translations cleanly
- all items must integrate
- A gmane thingy (what are these services called?)
- We have to be able to migrate all our existing data into the new
tools (preferably with data intact)

What don't we need?
- Forum (replace with gmane/similar service)

What would be *desirable* (vs needed)?
- no track record of regular, large security issues
- scalable
- well documented
- integrates with RCSs (svn+bzr+git as a minimum)
- for the BTS, email interface
- web interface

For my thoughts, I've got 'yes's and 'nos' below.

What I'd suggest:
- Wiki: Mediawiki
- Website: Mediawiki
- gmane/similar service for forum replacement

What I'd avoid:
- Bugzilla
- Forums in general.

Other peoples ideas/discussion would be invaluable.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au