Re: [gNewSense-users] Can't log into Gnewsense forum

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Can't log into Gnewsense forum
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:05:23 +0930

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:26:31 +0100
Tony Ferris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:41:39 +0100
> > Tony Ferris <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> Have tried several times to log into Gnewsense forum today without
> >> success. It says I'm already logged in but theres no box to type a
> >> reply into? When I log in it throws me back to the main page each
> >> time so I have to find the forum again. Also, I think there should
> >> be direct access to the forum (ie - on menu page).
> >>
> >> Have tried deleting cache/cookies but no difference.
> >>

> > There is a bug with logins via the sidebar, this may be affecting
> > you.
> >
> > Also, I plan to remove the forums in favour of a gmane interface
> > (pending any technical blockers).
> > kk
> >
> I quite like the idea of a gmane interface as long as its easily
> accessible to newcomers to Free software. As I understand it, Gmane
> means I'll be able to access the mailing list via a newsgroup reader?

AIUI yes.

> I still believe (Although not a particular fan) that a forum like
> phpbb would be best suited to providing a support area that requires

Perhaps so, but in my experience forums are sadly lacking on technical
people, and wind up being 'the blind leading the blind'. (quite aside
all the security issues that "proper" forums seem to be rife with)

> only a web browser to access it.

Anyone who uses webmail only needs a web browser.

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au