Re: [gNewSense-users] Which Netbook Is Recommended?

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Which Netbook Is Recommended?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:21:05 -0400

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 23:59 +0800, Bond 007 wrote:
> > > I am planning to get a new netbook too. Anyone has experience with one
> > > that has good gNewSense 2.x support?
> > >

> > Lemote Yeeloong with gNewSense mips-l.
> >
> > You can see the Yeeloong here:
> >
> > http://www.sorbaioli.org/photos/lemote_yeeloong/
> >
> > Buy it here:
> >
> > www.tekmote.nl
> >
> > Download gNewSense mips-l here:
> >
> > http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS
>

> What about x86 netbooks? Any good recommendations?

x86 machines need to have a BIOS to bootstrap the system; basically all
of those are non-free, but a free software BIOS, Coreboot, is being
developed. While Coreboot works very well on some boards, the fact that
the code is very close to the hardware (in terms of mainboard,
northbridge, southbrige, etc.) means that only certain boards are
supported. Check their list of supported mainboards[1] to see if the
board on your netbook is supported. I don't think any are as of yet,
though.

There's really no reason to prefer x86, basically all free software will
compile on MIPS, peripherals should work the same, etc. Plus, you get
away from the BIOS trap with the Yeeloong.

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards