Re: [gNewSense-users] thunderbird icons

From: Benedikt Ahrens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] thunderbird icons
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:20:12 +0100

Thanks for your reply.
So i understand that the support for non-free plugins is considered a
no-do, but the inclusion of non-free artwork is considered ok.

I cite from [2]:
" Non-functional Data

Data that has an aesthetic purpose, rather than a functional one, may
be included in a free system distribution as long as its license gives
you permission to copy and redistribute, both for commercial and
non-commercial purposes. For example, there are some game engines that
have been released under the GNU GPL, and have accompanying game
information—a world map, game graphics, and so on—released under such
a verbatim distribution license. This kind of data can be part of a
free system distribution. "

Does Mozilla allow the copying and distribution of the icon? I suppose
yes, since Ubuntu and others do this without intervention of Mozilla.
If so, it is somewhat misleading to call the icon non-free, since it
can be part of a free operating system - even though it may not be
modified.

Since freeness for software and arts seem to be different things,
might one want to have different terminology also?

After what you said, Graziano, it seems like Thunderbird is free
software only after removing the icon. This seems to contradict the
citation above (assumed the permission to distribute the unmodified
logo).

ben

[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html