Re: [gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:42:40 +0100

I am moving this one in the developers mailing list so feel free to
answer only there.

Anyone interested in working at the website should join -dev.
That is why we have a developer mailing list. ;)

Karl Goetz ha scritto:
>>> A few days ago I started to study how Pmwiki works because I'd like
>>> to propose a change in structure and look for gNewSense website.
>
> Thanks!
> At the moment Graziano is looking into more changes for the website.
> I'll let him post about them when hes ready though.

Hi all.
Short summary.
Many people in the forum and mailing list wanted a new website.
I talked to Paul O'Malley about this and he asked me to create a web
team to work on it.

I did it.
Fabian, a guy of the web team, proposed an html homepage and I proposed
one too.
Paul told us there would have been no change in the website until the
web team could hack a pmwiki skin and suggested one called "Maguila".

Nobody of the web team had time to work on that so only me and Karl had
to do the job. The current skin is the result.

Given that almost everyone has different needs and a different
perception and design taste, and given the fact that many people want to
tell us "how to do it" but often nobody is *really* willing to do it,
I suggest to all the people who want to help: please subscribe to the
developers mailing list.

New Website Considerations
- --------------------------

Three solution:

a) full html + css website

b) full wiki website

c) hybrid website (html homepage + wiki for the rest?)

a) is a bit harder to maintain for the community.

I think the best is (b) just as Fedora did for their website.

What I would like to do is this:
I would like to have a fully wiki website, homepage included but the
homepage would be tweaked to look like a html homepage.
Plus I would like to have Apache redirect the users to his/her local
language homepage (Fedora already does this).

Other issues

I know that the current homepage menu entries and architecture MUST be
changed and I am working on this too.

At the moment my playground is this one: www.sorbaioli.org/wiki

I changed the homepage text and cut down the left menu entries.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7201
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live