Re: [gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:42:02 +1030

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:33:14 +0100
address@hidden wrote:

> Hi Luis,

Hi both,
(I've moved pitof's post to the bottom).

> Quoting Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo <address@hidden>:
>
> > Hello all,

FWIW, I'd say the -dev list would be a better place to discuss this,
but I'll leave it here for the moment.

> > A few days ago I started to study how Pmwiki works because I'd like
> > to propose a change in structure and look for gNewSense website.

Thanks!
At the moment Graziano is looking into more changes for the website.
I'll let him post about them when hes ready though.

> > Following is an example of how I'd like the website to be:
> >
> > http://gnsenespanol.tuxfamily.org/
> >
> > It is in Spanish right now but here's the translation of the main
> > navigation bar:
> >
> > Home | Documentation | Support | Development | News | Philosophy

<trim preferred layout>

> > In my humble opinion, this change would separate more clearly the
> > information for users from the information for developers and
> > would make it easier to navigate through the website.
> >
> > The look of the website should use the colors of the current theme
> > of the operating system.

This has been mentioned before, and Graz and I have discussed it
briefly.

> > Another thing I think is important is that the pages should follow
> > the W3C recommendations for markup (XHTML) and style (CSS).
> > Currently, some of (or all?)
> > the pages of the website don't validate:
> >
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gnewsense.org%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gnewsense.org%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>
> >
> > I'd like to hear What you think about my proposal.

I see no good reason for us to try and make pmwiki produce valid
markup.

If we were to write our own website, then yes, There would be a call
for it to be valid ([x]html, css and accessible.)

> > Finally, I'm not asking you to make the change; I want to help as
> > much as I can.
> >
> > Best regards and thanks in advance,

joining the #gnewsense-dev irc channel and chatting with me and Graz.
would be a good place to start - when theres only a few people
minimising duplication is the key.

> First, i'd like to thank you for the great themes, wallpapers and
> icons you made and which anyone can see at
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/ArtworkPlan/Propose.

Aye.

> For what you propose, i agree that the side bar should directly
> point to categories as you wrote, plus:
> - a "contribute" section which would concern artwork, translations,
> doc writing and programming,
> - a "download" link to isos and torrents,
> - and links to other languages (as it is now).

Perhaps when Graz emails he'll include links to his 'playground'
website.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)