[gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website

From: Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo
Subject: [gNewSense-users] I want to help improve the website
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:55:53 -0500

Hello all,

A few days ago I started to study how Pmwiki works because I'd like to
propose a change in structure and look for gNewSense website.

Following is an example of how I'd like the website to be:

http://gnsenespanol.tuxfamily.org/

It is in Spanish right now but here's the translation of the main navigation bar:

Home | Documentation | Support | Development | News | Philosophy

Home: This will give a basic description of the operating system and why it is
important. Also, it will give three entry points: the first one for potential
users, the second one for current users, and the last one for developers
(programmers, translators, documentation writers, artists, etc)

Documentation: A collection of documents that cover basic to advance topics
about using the operating system.

Support: Descriptions of how to use lists, forums, and IRC to get help.

Development: This is where all the teams responsible for the improvement of
the system and its "ecosystem" will organize themselves.

News: This should link to a blog that could keep informed all the community
about gNewSense and about what can be done with it.

Philosophy: That, the philosophy of gNewSense community.

In my humble opinion, this change would separate more clearly the information
for users from the information for developers and would make it easier to navigate
through the website.

The look of the website should use the colors of the current theme of the
operating system.

Another thing I think is important is that the pages should follow the W3C
recommendations for markup (XHTML) and style (CSS). Currently, some of (or all?)
the pages of the website don't validate:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gnewsense.org%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

I'd like to hear What you think about my proposal.

Finally, I'm not asking you to make the change; I want to help as much as I can.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Medellín, Colombia