Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad to be released under GNU AGPLv3

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Launchpad to be released under GNU AGPLv3
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:59:34 -0500

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 10:23 -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> 2009/1/18 Daniel Nathan Booy <address@hidden>
>                That would be great but it would not "help Ubuntu
>         become a more
>                full member of the free software community". How would
>         it do
>                that?
>

>         By making it depend _less_ on proprietary software than it
>         presently
>         does, Ubuntu becomes _more_ free.
>
>         Seems fairly straightforward, wouldn't you say?
>

> I would say it is a very small step. I don't think their ideals have
> changed. It wouldn't matter what they would do if the direction they
> would head would be freedom. The direction they head is functionality.
> This could swerve them to any side upon convinience and not freedom.
> Convinience is what has moved them towards the liberation of
> Launchpad. Convinience could move them towards the creation of more
> privative software.

This isn't a small step at all. Launchpad is a really great service that
has the potential to be a more _convenient_ place to host software than
Sourceforge even (IMO), and now it's free under one of the most
freedom-protecting licenses available.

Canonical didn't do this out of convenience. If it was convenient to do,
they wouldn't have a deadline six months in the future. They did this
because the free software community asked them to, and they cooperated.
Regardless of the reasons they might have had, a large piece of very
useful software is very free now, and that's not something to dismiss.