Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:52:07 -0500

2009/1/12 Ted Smith <address@hidden>
Did you mean to take this off-list?

Woops....no!

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:59 -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:

> 2009/1/12 Ted Smith <address@hidden>
>         On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:47 -0500, Quiliro Ordóñez wrote:
>         > Sorry, correction
>         >
>         > No copyright, no need of the GPL. ;-)
>         >
>
>         If there's no copyright, we can't magically summon source from
>         anywhere.
>         We can just copy binaries without any persecution. In the
>         meantime,
>         software hoarders will take free source code and put shackles
>         on it.
>
> ¿How?

By releasing it under non-free terms, refusing to provide source, etc.

Isn't this what they do already?

The only thing they would be unable to do is prosecute us for copying
binaries. You can't get source from reverse-engineering.

You can't do that with non free software either but you would be able to legally reverse engineer.

>         Without copyright, our movement would die. It's not secret
>         that current
>         copyright law is downright orwellian, but we still need
>         something to
>         keep things free.
>
> With no copyright, all software would be free or at least would be
> reverse engineerable.

We wouldn't have source, and reverse engineering is not an equal to
that. ReactOS is a good example.

 No it is not. Once software is free under a free license, whoever got it alwas¡ys will have that part as free software. Whoever got it as nonfree without copyright would be able to at least execute and reverse engineer. Much better than before.....don't you think.

--
Saludos/Greetings
Quiliro Ordóñez