[gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: [gNewSense-users] patents and copyright [was: live cd]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:09:36 -0500

You may have the same problem with MP3 too. Use the VLC media player.

Its not included in the original CD as it is illegal in some
countries, albeit in the unlawfully gray areas. After consulting with
a lawyer, he cannot tell me if its illegal or not in my country.

If helping someone do something good were illegal, would you not do it? I would do it openly, not secretly.

In any case. Countries where software is protected by patent might have isues with the illegality of software. I am happy Ecuador is covered only by copyright. I hope someday it won't be even covered by copyright.

Knowledge is universal and should be owned by nobody. If you don't want anybody to use it, then don't make it public. The moment you make it public you shouldn't restrict the use because someone might develop that same work without him knowing yours. It would be unfair for him/her. It would not be fair to repeat someone's words. If we would do as it is established in the law it could be applicable to that extent. NOT FAIR.
--
Saludos/Greetings
Quiliro Ordóñez