[Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?]

From: Matthew J. Fisher
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?]
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:09:37 -0500

Here's a message that I received from Richard Stallman last Thursday. He
is still concerned about resolving the "copyright but no license" issue.

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/DocumentingYourWork?from=Main.DocumentingYourWorkKernel
>says that people should record that a file has no license.
>
> Can you dig up the list of files in Linux recorded to have lacked
> a license?
> Is it in a web page I could look at?  If so, could you tell me the
> URL?
>
> When I get this, I will indirectly ask them to put on license
> notices and thus eliminate the doubt.

The resolution which RMS proposes here sounds reasonable, but I don't
have a list of files for him yet. Based on Sam Geeraerts's reasoning, I
had actually resumed tagging these files as "assumed GPLv2".

If my initial findings are representative, we're talking about up to 1/3
of the kernel. I tried to file a bug for this issue, but don't seem to
have permissions to do this in the wiki.

Is there someone on this list who could either file the bug for me, or
grant me access? My user name is mfisher_ix.

Thanks.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not? Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 20:24:31 -0500
The page
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/DocumentingYourWork?from=Main.DocumentingYourWorkKernel
says that people should record that a file has no license.

Can you dig up the list of files in Linux recorded to have lacked a license?
Is it in a web page I could look at?  If so, could you tell me the URL?

When I get this, I will indirectly ask them to put on license notices
and thus eliminate the doubt.

--- End Message ---