Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Make MIPS gNewSense from Debian packages
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:21:54 +0100

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 09:02:14PM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:04:16 +0100
> Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Daniel Clark wrote:

Issues within debian aren't usually settled by voting. Most are settled by
someone doing the job. This works out most of the time except for some
contentious
issues, which, being contentious, get more coverage and attention, creating a
false image of how things get decided within that project.

> > > We probably need to formalize how decisions like this are made -
> > > I'd be fine with just copying Debian's way of doing it, with
> > > perhaps veto power for the FSF campaigns team
> > > (rms/mattl/peterb/johns - not me) so no changes could ever be made
> > > that would cause gNewSense to become non-FSF approved.
> > >
> > Is Debian's way of doing it: every Debian Developer gets a vote? Then
> > what would the criteria for getting a vote in the gNewSense community
> > be?
>
> The path to becoming a DD is quite long and involved (and formalised).
> We don't have any of that for gNS.

>From what I've read, back when debian was still a tiny dinosaur, the process
wasn't quite as complex as it is today.

I'd say internal governance isn't an issue right now, and probably won't be for
some
time. All in all I'd sait there's no direct need to erect our own secret cabal
at this time.

        friendly,
        Andreas