Re: [gNewSense-users] RFC: New gnewsense mailing lists?

From: Karl Goetz
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:57:11 +1030

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:36:34 -0500
Danny Clark <address@hidden> wrote:

> On IRC discussion there seemed to be general consensus that gNewSense
> was ready for a gnewsense-dev mailing list, since a lot of the
> gnewsense-users traffic is starting to be actually user-oriented (yay
> users!).

\o/

> Also there are several unfortunately long threads going on about the
> Lemote/MIPS development where instead of any list it's just a bunch of
> individuals cc:ed; I want to avoid this for the majority of
> conversations, as it's exclusionary, hard to reference, and makes it
> harder for new people to get involved.

This, more then the user support question, is what makes me think a
-dev list would be a valid change for the project.

> Would anyone have objections or alternative suggestions to the
> creation of address@hidden
>
> We may also want to create something like address@hidden for
> discussion of only builder [1,2]; it might be useful to not have
> "gnewsense" in the name as builder may eventually also be used to
> create distributions based on Debian GNU/Linux that are modified in
> the same way gNewSense modifies Ubuntu GNU/Linux, and those
> distributions may not be named "gNewSense" to avoid user confusion.

For the moment I think Builder questions can stay on -users or -dev. We
never get enough to need a whole new list.

> For that matter builder was originally created with the intention that
> it be used to create other Ubuntu derived distributions named
> something other than gNewSense, so that list could be used for those
> if they appear as well.
>
> Disadvantage of this list would be possibly too much dilution / too
> many mailing lists, so I would esp. like feedback on this one.

I'd say gNS -users and -dev, no builder.

> Also, would people find something like Gmane [3] but hosted on
> gnewsense.org (perhaps as a replacement for the current forums)
> useful? Free Software such as mail2forum [4] provides this
> functionality.

My only comment here is the observation that gmane/gateways tend to
break threads, and cause lots of badly formatted mail to lists (both in
the 'top posting' sense, and the 'html garbage').

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au