Re: [gNewSense-users] Language Support deleted OpenOffice.org

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Language Support deleted OpenOffice.org
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:18:08 +0100

Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo wrote:
This happened to me when installing gNewSense 2.1 on another machine. After
installing the system I did the following:

1. Installed the updates, which included some OpenOffice updates. After
   this, OpenOffice was working fine.
   2. Installed language support for Spanish and Japanese, and activated
   input for complex characters. I did all this through

After this, I went to OpenOffice to test my Japanese writing and saw that
OpenOffice was nowhere, it got deleted.

In my machine I didn't have this problem because I installed the language
support first. But when there were updates available I got a partial update notice and the OpenOffice updates appeared grayed out in the update manager.

¿What could this be?

Thanks in advance,

I've been getting that partial upgrade notice on my laptop too for some time now. I don't use it much so I haven't bothered to look into it yet. I don't remember doing anything language support related when I got it and I still have OpenOffice.org. The updates that I can't install now include OpenOffice.org and Linux. When I click the button to do the suggested partial upgrade it says it can't upgrade from deltah to hardy. My sources.list file doesn't contain any references to Ubuntu (I haven't touched it since installation). My other machines don't have the problem.

I'll do some more investigating during the weekend.

I opened Software Sources and went to the Updates tab. "Important security updated (deltah-security)" was already checked. I now checked "Recommended updates (deltah-updates)" and ran Update manager again. I could now install OpenOffice.org, Linux and a whole pile of other updates.

I guess that solved the issue. The problem I have now is that I can't open Software Sources anymore (also on my other machines that didn't get the partial upgrade notice). Seems like a gNewSense specific problem, because it starts just fine on the Ubuntu Hardy machine.