Re: [gNewSense-users] new homepage 1st draft

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] new homepage 1st draft
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:39:53 +0100

Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:

I made a first quick refresh of our homepage:

http://sorbaioli.org/gnewsense/

It's a first draft and there is a lot to do but I would like to hear
your opinion about everything: layout, colors, footer, menu, logo, etc.

Please tell me what you think and how we can improve it!

Is this going to be a page on its own as a replacement for what is now www.gnewsense.org (which think is pretty good: nice colors, rounded corners, button-style links, simple lay-out) or will it be like a skin for Pmwiki?

FSF and other campaigns deal with important issues, but I think we should leave campaigning to the campaigners. gNewSense is about building a free operating system. We can emphasize the freedom aspect by giving a short explanation of the concept and why we do it and leave the rest to the FSF which we can link to in a prominent way (I would say plain big logo is better than "Join the FSF" thingy, which is only temporary)

The menu items move when a link changes from unvisited to visited.

The links in the text would be better emphasized if they were separate from it, in a bulleted list or (like in the current homepage) button-styled.

Dark-blue visited links on a dark-blue background is not so good for accesibility.

I haven't seen your original design, but the logo is now too blended into the menu bar, IMHO. I'm thinking some kind of 3D or halo effect would improve this?

Download menu item should point to a download page (with options for mirrors, bittorrent, some explanation, ...).

Search = Google? I'm not a big fan.

I'm sure I can think of some more things later. :)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. I hope we can make the website as a whole something we can be proud of.