Re: [gNewSense-users] contribution

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] contribution
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:25:29 +0100

Bubba cakes wrote:
hello,
i am patrick deboard.  i just joined the community.  greetings to all!

Welcome!

i appreciate what everyone is doing, and i would like to contribute.
i see a need already, where i can help, and that is in the editing of
documentation, and perhaps in suggesting things that might help a
newbie.

Great. Go right ahead and edit the pages you think need improving (or suggest changes for pages you can't edit).

A newbie perspective is one of the most useful resources for improving documentation. Please speak up if you see anything wrong or unclear.

for example, i think there could be a "sign in" link on this page:

Could you clarify what you mean and why you think it's an improvement. Aren't the instructions on the page clear enough. I think this is a pretty standard mailing list page, so I think you need to make a strong argument to get it changed (if that's even possible).

anyway, i'm excellent in writing english.  not that you could tell
from reading this, because i don't use capital letters in my emails,
but i've been published a # of times, and never required an editor.

On what subjects have you published? Maybe you could write something about gNewSense?

i would be glad to receive emails from anyone working on the gnewsense
project, with an attachment that needs editing for proper and clear
english usage.  i could edit the document and return it.  i would be
glad to do it.  i don't understand what you guys are talking about in
the computer language, but i do understand how to write good english.

ok. feel free to send me stuff, and tell me how soon you would like to
have it done.  i'll do it right away if i can.

I don't think there's much documentation writing going on now, so you may need to encourage that some before you receive anything to edit.

According to the (dubiously updated) CurrentProjects page [1] Markdarb and dcparris are in charge of documentation. You could contact them to see what's going on with that (and see if they're still active) and (depending on their answer) join or start the documentation team.

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CurrentProjects