Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?

From: Ali Gunduz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 05:06:25 +0200

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Matthew J. Fisher wrote:
> I've come across a few files in the kernel which have copyright
> statements, but no license. Would these be considered free or unfree?
>
> The copyright statements don't actually say that any rights are
> reserved. They simply list the authors and copyright dates.

I think the general licensing of Linux that I quote beneath makes them
GPLv2 and, therefore, free.

"Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
 is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
 v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated."

Ali