Re: [gNewSense-users] Modified logo for gNewSense: see if you like it!

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Modified logo for gNewSense: see if you like it!
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:42:27 +0100

Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

It sounds like you want this to replace the (also very good) theme we
currently have in the short term. It seems a bit strange to me to
replace the artwork of a version that has already been released. Would
there be any particular reason for that?

On the other hand, it's a bit of a waste not to use it or to just have
it as an additional theme. A new release based on 8.10 and with the new
theme would be ideal, but that's probably not going to happen.

No.
It was me that suggested in the forum to change the current artwork
(logo and so on) of the website AND distro to that of sirgazil.

I think his work is a major improvement in the distro graphics and in
the website one so I told him to PROPOSE in the mailing list such a
change to hear what do YOU think. :)

I really like his logo more than the current one and I vote for
replacing it in the website main static page and in the distro.

I would like that to become our main logo and leave the other one as an
option for another theme.

What about you?

Just to be clear: would the new logo be the one like the current logo (forked tree on an island) or the "Beneath the shelter of freedom" one?

As I said, I like this artwork a lot too, but changing the artwork of an existing release doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Imagine that thousands of people are using gNewSense. Most of them are probably not following these developments up close. After an update they suddenly find themselves confronted with a completely new look of their preferred distro. If that were to happen to me I would be wondering if I unknowingly did an upgrade to a new major release somehow, or that the project is under new management or something.

I'd rather see both the current and the new theme tweaked to perfection, keeping the current one for this release and saving the new one for the next or providing it as an alternative theme. There's also the option of retargeting the new theme to the website, although that would probably mean discarding Matt's great work on the homepage. There has already been a proposal (twice) for a new theme for the main website, but for some reason it has not been implemented.