Re: [gNewSense-users] Ethernet nor recognized.

From: Ali Gunduz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Ethernet nor recognized.
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:16:05 +0200

> Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit
> Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

Broadcom ethernet adapters require the non-free tg3 driver. Although
Linux development team doesn't mind diminishing users' freedom by
including this firmware in their official releases
(http://lwn.net/Articles/284985/ exemplifies their reasoning),
gNewSense removes the driver from its kernel.

The blog post at http://jebba.blagblagblag.org/?p=244 does a good job
at explaining how such a proprietary firmware can exist inside
official linux code. There is also a GNU Herds pledge at
http://gnuherds.org/pledges?id=58 to raise awareness about the tg3
driver and to encourage a free replacement.

I am typing this email from a laptop with a Broadcom Ethernet adapter.
But I refuse to run the tg3 driver and sacrifice my freedom for
convenience. There are many (wired and wireless) networking solutions
that work with free software.

Ali Gunduz