[gNewSense-users] Re: gNS Roadmap

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNS Roadmap
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:03:54 +0300

Koh Choon Lin wrote:

> 2. I am planning to setup some web servers with gNS. Will the
> security fix in gNS be updated as fast as in the case of Ubuntu,

As Karl says, the security support is excellent (keep in mind that it
relies on the work of the Ubuntu folks, of course).

As for installing it on a server, I still don't have the guts to do
that.  Time passes quickly (for me, at least) and not being able to
upgrade flawlessly between releases is a huge drawback.  TBH, I cannot
even consider it for a workstation at the place I work (FWIW -- a ship
management company, nothing related to IT, but we *need* workstations
*working* all of the time, so we run Debian on all machines).

Needless to say that many non-exciting packages are simply broken, and
that's going to be the case forever in Ubuntu, and consequently in
gNewSense (provided it continues to be based on Ubuntu).