[gNewSense-users] gNewSense at 12800 ft high in the Andes mountains

From: Quiliro Ordóñez
Subject: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense at 12800 ft high in the Andes mountains
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:37:22 -0500

Hello fellow freedom fighters.

I am currently installing a mini lab at a school in a small community in the highlands of the Andes Mountains very far away from the cities. We are hoping this will set an example so we can "sell" the idea of a massive program to include free software in all public schools. We have 5 old machines with 24 MB and 2 dual core with 1GB

I have been able to acheive several things:

Install gNewSense 2.0 (lost 2.1).
Install packages that I saved in another CD with updates
Install language packages though: System --> Administration --> Language Support --> Supported Languages --> Spanishl; Castellano --> Acept (the packages from the CD were helpfull for this too)

By the way,  what I did to include the packages that I had downloaded from internet was to copy /var/cache/apt from a machine that had them already to a CD-ROM. Then I copied them to a new machine and changed the permissions after installation as follows:
$ sudo su - # So they get copied as root user as it was originally.
# cp -r /media/cdrom1/apt /var/cache/
# chmod +x /var/cache/apt/*
# chmod u+x /var/cache/apt/archives/*
# exit
$

$ sudo apt-get install ltsp-server-standalone openssh-server

Everything OK up to here but....

$ sudo ltsp-build-client
/usr/share/ltsp/plugins/ltsp-build-client/common/010-chroot-tagging: line 3: /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ltsp_chroot: No existe el fichero ó directorio
error: la instalación del cliente LTSP finalizó de forma anormal

I looked in internet and found:
https://listas.hispalinux.es/pipermail/ltsp-es/2008-March/004176.html
http://pesegueiro.blogsome.com/2007/12/04/configurando-el-servidor-ltsp5-en-edubuntu-710/
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-September/002211.html

I proceeded as they said, like this:
:
$ lsb_release -i -s
gNewSense
$ sudo nano /usr/sbin/ltsp-build-client

Replaced:
VENDOR=$(lsb_release -i -s)
with:
VENDOR="Ubuntu"

$ sudo ltsp-build-client
NOTA: añadiendo disttribución y componentes predeterminados al servidor de seguridad:
http://security.ubuntu.com//ubuntu deltah main restricted
NOTE: Root directory /opt/ltsp/i386 already exists, this will lead to problems, please remove it before trying again. Exiting.
error: la instalación del cliente LTSP finalizó de forma anormal
$ sudo rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386
$ sudo ltsp-build-client
NOTA: añadiendo disttribución y componentes predeterminados al servidor de seguridad:
http://security.ubuntu.com//ubuntu deltah main restricted
E: No such script: /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/deltah
error: la instalación del cliente LTSP finalizó de forma anormal
$ sudo rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386
$ sudo ltsp-build-client --security-mirror http://ec.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/ deltah-security main universe
NOTA: añadiendo disttribución y componentes predeterminados al servidor de seguridad:
http://ec.security.gnewsense.org/gnewsense//ubuntu deltah main restricted
E: No such script: /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/deltah
error: la instalación del cliente LTSP finalizó de forma anormal
$

Possibly officials from the Ministry of education might be visiting the school this week and I would like to show them the project working. ¿Could you give me a hand?

The name of the community is Qulapungo. It has a school with 200 students of up to sixth grade. Quilapungo is located 3 km from Quilotoa Lake. It is a lake that has no affluents and is inside the crater of a volcano. In Quilapungo the inhabitants are
all native american indians and our objective is for them to know about free software.

Quilotoa Lake
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-0.85&lon=-78.9&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

--
Saludos/Greetings