Re: [gNewSense-users] (nonfree) blobwars family of games

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] (nonfree) blobwars family of games
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:12:04 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
Hi all,

I know some of you will have already seen this, but it seemed relevent
enough to post here. Sorry if its already come through, I didnt notice
it.

It is with much regret that I have to ask you to remove the following packages from your repositories,

blobwars (Blob Wars : Metal Blob Solid)
starfighter (Project: Starfighter)
blobAndConquer (Blob Wars : Blob And Conquer)
viruskiller (Virus Killer)

It has been brought to my attention ... [the games] ... should all be removed
immediately to avoid any legal issues.

From
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-August/004432.html ,
but i can dig out all the other references if you'd like them too.
kk

(CCing gNS as we only dealt with blobwars).

I haven't followed this issue too closely, but I would like to again bring the graphics to the attention. I seems that Debian has only removed music and sounds [1]. Yet, as far as I know, only the source code explicitly has a license. The thread on Happy Penguin [2] says:

---
So I got an email reply form Scarfy, in which I got clarification on what needs replacement:

Quote:
So, to clarify, the source code, data sets and graphics are Free. The rest
is unknown (but as far as I'm concerned, I'm just redistributing assets that
were already available freely).
---

But Free for Scarfy may not mean Free for Debian or gNewSense. I haven't looked at all the bug reports in detail, but I hope someone has taken this into account.

[2] http://www.happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30