Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Update on non-free package blobwars

From: Dara Adib
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Update on non-free package blobwars
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:42:09 -0400

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Its a strange assertion - i suppose its 'protecting you from yourself'.

I definitely agree that it's strange. I sent a message to the Blob
Wars project via their web form.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:
> I just sent this via their web form:

Although I also sent a message (for Ubuntu/Debian), please let me know
(via this list) if you get a response.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> If there is no license to distribute the sounds, they can't be even in
> Debian's non-free section.
>
> If there is permission to distribute them (say, with no modifications
> or other restrictions) it is OK for gNewSense to include them under
> certain conditions as per the free distro guidelines.

According to the Debian bug[1]:
"The music and sounds in Blobwars are taken from various 'free' online
repositories, which allow distribution and non-commercial use at the
minimum, but not necessarily DFSG-free. Some sounds and music files
may be in the public domain, but this is not clear yet. The sounds and
music should be split into a blobwars-data-nonfree package."

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Just because they created the graphics themselves doesn't mean they're
> giving anybody else distribution or any other rights. The FAQ specifically
> says that _source code_ is GPL, _resources_ are Non Free. I would say that
> the graphics are resources, thus they are Non Free.

Good point. Again, I suppose we need to contact the Blob Wars project.
Once I get a response, I will let you know and we can start discussing
what is defined as "resources." The licensing FAQ[2] states the
following:

"All source code found on this site is available under the GNU General
Public License (often referred to as the GPL). You can obtain a copy
of the license by clicking here [link to GPLv2]."

"Please make sure you are aware of the terms of this license before
installing or running our software. Please also note that game assets
are Non Free and should not be included as part of a Linux
distribution or made available in any repositories."

According to Wikipedia[3]: "Game assets are the "things" that go into
a game. Some examples of assets are artwork (including textures and 3D
models), sound effects and music, text, dialogue and anything else
that is presented to the user. Sometimes the terms content or objects
are used interchangeably with the term assets."

[2] http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/faqs.php#License%20FAQ
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development#Duration