Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Update on non-free package blobwars

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Update on non-free package blobwars
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:41:11 +0200

Yavor Doganov wrote:
Dara Adib wrote:
I should note Debian bug 495484[1] was filed about the non-free
status of the music and sounds. This resulted in a new version of
the blobwars package, 1.08-dfsg-1, which removed all music and sound
files from the upstream tarball and made a separate blobwars-data
binary package.

If there is no license to distribute the sounds, they can't be even in
Debian's non-free section.

I agree. And the same goes for the graphics. It says in the Debian bug:

According to upstream it's just the music and sound effects that was taken from online resources, the graphics were created by upstream.

Just because they created the graphics themselves doesn't mean they're giving anybody else distribution or any other rights. The FAQ specifically says that _source code_ is GPL, _resources_ are Non Free. I would say that the graphics are resources, thus they are Non Free.

If there is permission to distribute them (say, with no modifications
or other restrictions) it is OK for gNewSense to include them under
certain conditions as per the free distro guidelines.

(I don't have time to check this right now, though.)