Re: [gNewSense-users] Update on non-free package blobwars

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Update on non-free package blobwars
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:21:57 +0930

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 17:05 +0930, Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 22:14 -0400, Dara Adib wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> > > Might as well do what they ask. :)
> >
> > I should note Debian bug 495484[1] was filed about the non-free status
> > of the music and sounds. This resulted in a new version of the
> > blobwars package, 1.08-dfsg-1, which removed all music and sound files
> > from the upstream tarball and made a separate blobwars-data binary
> > package.
> >

> If it works without the non-free stuff - cool. otherwise, its a fairly
> silly split.
>
> > I also filed a bug[2] in the Ubuntu Launchpad bug tracker about both
> > of these problems: the non-free music and sound files as well as the
> > statement "This game should not be added to Linux distributions or
> > respositories".
>
> Its a strange assertion - i suppose its 'protecting you from yourself'.
> kk

I just sent this via their web form:

---
I have a point of contention with this page.
I was hoping you could refrase this bit under Licence:

This game should not be added to Linux distributions or respositories.

And turn it into a suggestion or a request (eg, "We recommend that this
game not be added to Linux distributions or respositories.).

Unless you explicitly do not wish to be included in any distributions!
(if thats the case please email me back, i'll file bugs where i can).
---

Karl Goetz <address@hidden>