Re: [gNewSense-users] pre-compiled linux-libre 2.6.27-rc5 packages for a

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] pre-compiled linux-libre 2.6.27-rc5 packages for atheros wireless support
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:43:04 -0500

Ali Gunduz wrote:
I think that there is a significant need for wireless support in
gNewSense. Although there are free atheros drivers that support a
number of devices, these are not supported under gNewSense by default.

First, thanks for your work to bring us these free software drivers in a completely free software Linux kernel.

I'd like to understand more about the process by which the free software Atheros drivers will make it into the Linux kernel. Is it a matter of time until the free software Atheros drivers are reviewed, re-edited as needed to meet current Linux coding conventions and interfaces, then make it into the Linux kernel? Then from there these drivers are bound to be inherited by all Linux kernel distributors?

Just to be understood clearly: I'm in no way trying to make your work seem insignificant. I run Linux-libre kernels on my machines and I recommend them to others. I'm chiefly trying to understand how the free software Atheros drivers would become more widespread than those running the Linux-libre kernels.

Thanks again.