[gNewSense-users] pre-compiled linux-libre 2.6.27-rc5 packages for ather

From: Ali Gunduz
Subject: [gNewSense-users] pre-compiled linux-libre 2.6.27-rc5 packages for atheros wireless support
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 22:40:29 +0300

Hello all,

I think that there is a significant need for wireless support in
gNewSense. Although there are free atheros drivers that support a
number of devices, these are not supported under gNewSense by default.
If you consider that there are quiet a lot of laptops requiring
non-free drivers for both the ethernet and wireless connection (such
as my Dell Inspiron 1420n, which was promoted as a "Linux" computer),
you will understand the direness for ready-to-use (read: pre-compiled)
support of these free drivers, especially by newcomers. With this
thought, I compiled the Linux-libre 2.6.27-rc5 into deb packages.

You can find the package and information at
http://www.aligunduz.org/gNewSense/. I'm hosting them on my limited
space for now. (Oh, gNewSense gods, hear thou servant!)

I tested this on Asus Eee PC 701 and 900 (ath5k) and with D-Link
DWA-643 Wireless Expresscard Notebook Adapter (ath9k). The ath9k does
not seem very mature for now, since it was released a very short time
ago, but ath5k works with excellent performance on both Eee PC's.

As you will notice, the kernel image is fairly big. This is due to all
the general use modules included inside. Still, this is a preliminary
and yet crude package. I appreciate if anyone optimizes the provided
config file or has further suggestions.

I thank to Luis A. Guzmán García, Jean Schurger and Alexandre Oliva
for their help.

Happy Hacking

Ali Gunduz