[gNewSense-users] How to voluntarily follow gNewSense / FSF guidelines o

From: Brian Greer
Subject: [gNewSense-users] How to voluntarily follow gNewSense / FSF guidelines on my Ubuntu Apple PPC?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 01:47:34 -0700

gNewSense has been instrumental in educating me about free vs open software, even though I have been in the game casually since about '95 starting with Yggdrasil. :) Thanks for the education - I thought I knew what free meant, but found out I really didn't!

I also run Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS (and Debian Etch) on my G5 iMac, and know firsthand the difficulties of what is involved with supporting a PPC distrubution of any sort.

Using gNewSense on my HP-Pavilion s7700n pc as a guide, I'd like to at least _voluntarily_ follow the FSF guidelines on a personal level and help guide friends that I have installed the ppc Ubuntu version on by doing the following: (I could go the Gentoo route I suppose, but would like to at least get as close as I can to FSF guidelines with Ubuntu for my friends who are not make-install savvy. :)

* Lock out improper repositories - lock down the sources.list file etc

* Use free video drivers, lock out glx and dri. Usually not a problem because proprietary drivers don't exist for ppc!

* Not sure about the wi-fi since I'm not doing wifi with airport cards - I'll have to research that.

* Disabling non-free kernel modules - I could use some help here from other Ubuntu / Debian ppc users to see how much I can get away with.

* Use gNewSense repos on my pc as a reference - for instance running the Epiphany-browser instead of Firefox etc. New program? - consult the gNewSense repos first, mailing lists, irc etc.

* I'm not sure on the freedom-status of PPC's openfirmware in forth - another thing to check

While this might be good personally, does anyone feel that it isn't really worth the effort if it doesn't follow the fsf guidelines 100 percent?