[gNewSense-users] Re: DeltaH CD 2.1 gNewSense Release

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: DeltaH CD 2.1 gNewSense Release
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:47:11 +0100

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
I've just released the LiveCD for gNewSense 2.1, the second full release of DeltaH.
This bring in a number of updates, fixes and improvements.

I've just realised that tomorrow will mark the 2 year anniversary of our first release.
Accordingly, it's somewhat appropriate that our 10th LiveCD is released today.

It's strange to think that it's well over 2 years since Paul and I started gNewSense. While I remain the main developer; many other people have contributed code, and many many more time and effort, to ensure that this distribution stays free and usable. We were the first for example to remove all non-free blobs from the kernel and also the first to remove GLX. Through all this work we have produced what is, to the best of my knowledge, the freest GNU/Linux distribution in existence.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support thus far, and look forward to the future of gNewSense.

Yours,
Brian Brazil
gNewSense Head Developer

Changes since 2.0 include:
- Linux-ubuntu-modules cleared of non-free blobs
- Usplash added, thanks to Jean
- New theme and artwork, thanks to Patricio, Briareo and Leo
- Readded fix for module-init-tools for eepro100
- Builder: LiveCD no longer asks for password on sudo
- Builder: Added support for extra repositories in python-apt
- Builder: Various tweaks, fixes and improvements from Karl

Download links:
LiveCD: http://cdimage.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-livecd-deltah-2.1.iso
LiveCD Torrent: http://cdimage.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-livecd-deltah-2.1.iso.torrent
LiveCD Source: http://cdimage.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-cdsource-deltah-2.1.tar

Upgrading from 1.9/2.0: Follow the upgrade notifications in Gnome. There's no need to download the 2.1 CD.
To change to the gNewSense theme in Gnome, go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance. Select 'gNewSense' in the 'Themes' tab and press 'Close'.

As always, we're in #gnewsense on irc://chat.freenode.net.
More details about gNewSense can be found at http://www.gnewsense.org

Yours,
Brian Brazil
gNewSense Head Developer