[gNewSense-users] Changing the forum

From: Ali Gunduz
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Changing the forum
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:51:20 +0300

Hi all,

I think it is time to change the current forum configuration and have a more 'conventional' forum. I suggest phpBB but feel free to suggest another if there are practical or license issues.

I think such a change is necessary because:

1- Threads can be grouped in categories
2- Tags for quotes, code lines, images, in-text url's
3- Standart sub-thread fields, for example to list user's hardware
4- Most importantly, the ability to edit previous posts, which makes it possible for
    a) correct mistakes instead of redundant correction/improvement messages (makes it easier to follow)
    b) make it a playground for tutorials before submitted to the wiki

However, it also brings some challenges (other than finding someone to spend time on it):

1- archiving current forum threads
2- integrating current users/profiles
3- keeping a design consistency in means of color scheme and whatnot

gnufs