Re: [gNewSense-users] Moving pages in the wiki

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Moving pages in the wiki
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:24:24 +0930

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 11:55 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm hatching a plan to reorganise the wiki. It would be to try and get
> > different 'classes' of page into their own section, instead of sitting
> > under /Main/*.
> >

> Cool. I have thought about cleaning up the wiki myself a few times, but
> trying to come up with a sensible structure made my head hurt.

I figured some main categories couldnt hurt (the documentation itself
already has a planned structure it seems).

> > Firstly, I'll point out this can only happen if PmWIKI supports page moves
> > and renames - ours doesnt seem to currentlyu.

Theres a plugin to do this (just to make sure its noted in the main
thread).

> > So far, i've thought the following would be useful:
> >
> > /Documentation/ (exists)
> > /FreedomVerification/ (for PFV, KFV, and related things)
> > /Projects/ (exists)
> > /Builder/ (exists)
> > /Translations/ (exists)
> > /IRC/ (exists)
> > /Community/ (exists)
> >

> - Documentation: is this supposed to be user documentation only or also
> developer/contributor documentation?

I wasnt drawing a destinction, i figure if at some point in the future
we need to split them we can create /Developer/ and go from there.

> - FreedomVerification, Builder, Translations: I would say these are
> projects, so I think it's more logical to put them under Projects.

I did consider this, but they are projects which have moved past 3 or 4
pages sitting round the wiki. They have the potential (and in the case
of FV already does) have lots of pages, and so i thought they could live
by themseves.

> - IRC: it's a community resource, so why not place it under Community?
> (Same goes for mailing lists.)

I left them because they already existed.
If you think they should be merged into other areas thats worth
discussing.

> > I'm also thinking of merging these pages:
> > Main/CurrentProjects and Main/HowToHelp
> >

> CurrentProjects is a dry (and possibly overwhelming) list of things to
> do. HowToHelp is a friendly invitation to join the community. It has
> items that aren't really projects, like joining the mailing list. I
> think it's better to make HowToHelp more inviting (more entry-level
> tasks, like "Put a button on your blog") and more visible (on the
> homepage, Community-page or in the menu).

I should add a 'cleanup' page where we can add things we think are out
of date - CurrentProjects is certainly a good example.

> > And want to rename these:
> > Main/TranslatingTheWWWSite
> >
> > And move these:
> > Main/CurrentProjects to Projects/Current
> >

> Is it useful to have a current projects page? Are there projects that
> are not current? Is it clear which projects are actively being worked on
> (a.k.a. current) and which aren't?

It used to be HowToHelp listed all projects, and CurrentProjects listed
things that were being worked on.

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor